I love the changing seasons in Minnesota and like many people, fall is one of my favorites! This summer was relatively mild in the northland and enticed us with many enjoyable days which I am grateful for. Now it is September, however, and I can’t help but get excited as the air starts to tease us with its cooler crisp notes and the landscape of emerald green folds into the brilliant tones of red, orange, amber, yellow and gold.
One of the best things about fall is being out in nature and experiencing the above-mentioned environment first hand! Whether you are an avid hiker, cyclist, runner or just able to walk to the mailbox and back you can’t help but get all five senses involved! What a wonderful time of the year!!
It’s also that time of year when our bodies start looking for warming, energizing foods. Foods such as pot roasts and chilis. There are many wonderful fruits and vegetables in season now to add incredible flavors and nutrients to these dishes too! Among my favorites this time of year includes apples, pomegranates, pumpkin, and sweet potatoes. There are so many great nutrient dense dishes to make by incorporating those delicious foods! I love chili in the fall, it warms me from the inside out and makes my home smell incredible! I’d like to share a very simple, chili recipe that is beautiful to look at, loaded with health benefits, tastes great and doesn’t take much time to make! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
FALL CHICKEN CHILI
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 8 Servings
Serving Size: 1 Cup
- 2 lbs. Chicken Thigh
- 1 lb. Frozen Chopped Spinach
- 2 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning (mix fennel, salt & pepper)
- 24 oz. Prepared Red Sauce (Costco has a wonderful prepared organic marinara sauce that is all natural) I use this to save time and it tastes great.
- In a large stockpot, combine chicken thigh chopped spinach and Italian sausage seasoning.
- Cook over medium-high heat, turning periodically until chicken is cooked through and spinach is wilted. About 10 minutes.
- Do not drain.
- Add red sauce and heat through. About 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low until ready to serve.